When you are involved in an accident and it was caused by the negligent actions of another, you can hold them accountable for their reckless decisions by filing a personal injury claim against them.
Here, you can seek compensation for the damages you’ve endured. Continue reading to learn more about who may be named as the defendant in your case and what losses should be included when calculating the value of your claim.
The person or persons who will be found liable for your damages will largely depend on the type of accident you were involved in. Below, we have compiled a list of some of the different types of accidents typically seen and the parties who are found at-fault for the cause of these accidents:
- Motor vehicle accidents – In auto wrecks the vehicle technicians, automakers, the Department of Transportation, and the other involved driver are usually found culpable for injury victims damages.
- Premises liability – Generally speaking, the owner of the property on which you were injured will be responsible for covering your losses.
- Medical malpractice – Nearly any medical professional who was providing or overseeing your treatment and care can have a medical malpractice claim brought against them.
- Dog bites – The owner of the dog who attacked you will almost always need to compensate you for the damage their pet has caused.
- Defective products – Products liability claims are unique in that anyone involved in the chain of distribution of the item in question can be found responsible for your losses.
Your attorney will conduct a thorough investigation and gather all of the evidence necessary to support your case. This might include photographs, police reports, safety inspection reports, video footage, expert testimony and witness statements, to name a few. Speak with your lawyer if you have further questions about blame in personal injury claims.
Get the Compensation to Which You’re Entitled
When someone else causes you to endure an injury, they should be expected to repay you for all you’ve been through. Your attorney will be responsible for calculating how much your claim is worth.
They’ll do this by considering the impact your injuries have had on your life including your lost wages, pain and suffering, the loss of enjoyment of life, your medical expenses, the loss of companionship and love, and mental anguish, to name a few. The goal will be to get every single damage you’ve suffered accounted for in your claim.
Speak with a Highly Trained Personal Injury Lawyer
When you’ve suffered a serious injury and aren’t sure what you should do moving forward, call an experienced injury attorney who can help you build a powerful case against the liable party.
A reputable firm will offer their clients a free case review to discuss the details of your case before you make the decision to pursue your claim. Schedule yours today so that you can start to pick up the pieces of your life.